Autumn is officially here, and I’m celebrating with a list of fun things to do all throughout the DMV! Because let’s be honest: we all need a little more fall fun in our lives.
Whether you’re engaged, newlyweds or you’re just looking for new date night ideas, this list is for you!
1. Visit an apple orchard. Bonus points if it has apple cider donuts! Find some local options here.
2. Start a Halloween tradition. If you don’t already have one, pick something fun to do together that you’ll look forward to every year! My favorites: making boo brownies and enjoying apple cider bourbon drinks.
3. Have a picnic. Pack up some sandwiches, snacks and a bottle of wine for a romantic afternoon together. A few places to consider: Alexandria Waterfront Park, Meridian Hill Park or Manassas Battlefields.
4. Sip some wine. The fall is the perfect time to enjoy beautiful scenery, a glass of wine and good company. Top picks: Breaux Vineyards, Stone Tower Winery, Barrel Oak Winery and Potomac Point Winery.
6. Tour a museum. You likely already know there is a long list of places to visit in DC. Make it a date and choose a romantic restaurant to go to afterwards.
7. Celebrate history at Mount Vernon. This year they’re having a Fall Wine Festival & Sunset tour – sounds perfect for date night!
8. Shop at a Farmers Market. Sampling delicious food and picking out pumpkins is a great way to relax on a weekend. Old Town Alexandria has one every Saturday, and you can find a long list of DC farmers markets at the Washingtonian.
9. Watch a scary movie at an outdoor screening. Don’t forget to bring a blanket to share! Check out the full list of local options at DC Outdoor Films.
10. Try all the cider. Sound delicious? Stop by the Alexandria Cider Festival in November. Be sure to grab a bite to eat at a food truck before you leave! Details can be found here.
12. Sign up for a ghost tour. Learn the local legends and get spooked along the way. Destination DC created a quick guide to help you choose – check it out here.
13. Take a bike ride to see the fall foliage. There are plenty of paths around the city! Don’t have a bike? No problem – check out Capital Bikes.
15. Enjoy fall flavors at the Taste of DC. Featuring food from more than 65 of the region’s best restaurants, you really can’t go wrong with this one. There’s also a beer garden, live music and artisan market. Which means you’ll get to spend the day holding hands with your honey and having the best time ever. Find out all the details here!