1. See the beautiful cherry blossoms. One of the most popular spring activities in DC! The famous peak bloom at the Tidal Basin most often happens mid-March through early April. But it’s different each year. This year in 2023 they’re predicting peak bloom to happen between March 22 – 25! Looking for a quieter spot? Meadowlark Botanical Gardens in Vienna, Old Town Alexandria, and Green Spring Gardens all offer beautiful cherry blossoms.
2. Explore DC’s museums. Perfect for those rainy days! Many are also free. A few options the kids will love: Air & Space Museum, Natural History Museum, National Children’s Museum, National Gallery of Art, and the National Postal Museum (see the largest collection of stamps in the world).
3. Visit the National Mall. Walk around, soak up the sun, have a picnic on a blanket. All while surrounded by some of the most iconic views in the country.
5. Visit a Botanical Garden or the National Arboretum. The photos above were taken at Meadowlark Botanical Gardens in Vienna! If you’re in Maryland, Brookside Gardens is a great option. And you can’t go wrong with the National Arboretum. Tons of room to run around and beautiful flowers to see everywhere you go.
6. Unwind at a local winery or brewery. These have unique fun for the kids: Aslin in Herndon or Solace Brewing both offer arcade games. Twinpanzee in Sterling offers board games for endless fun. 2 Silos Brewing Company has plenty of room to run around, live music, and special events. The Farm Brewery at Broad Run in Haymarket also has room to run, outdoor games, and live entertainment (dogs are welcome too).
7. Spend an afternoon in Old Town Alexandria. There’s so much to do here! Explore local parks (like this one above), get a bite to eat at one of the cafes or restaurants, or stroll by the waterfront. Upcoming spring events for 2023: St. Patricks Day Parade in March, Historic Homes & Garden Tour in April, and the Old Town Festival of Speed and Style in May. Enjoy the famous cherry blossoms on a boat tour, or enjoy the wide variety of cherry blossom events and activities throughout the spring. Go to VisitAlexandria.com for more upcoming events and things to do.
8. Enjoy Mother’s Day Brunch. At home, or out and about! Get brunch ideas here at the Washingtonian.
10. Book a spring portrait session! If you love pretty blooms in your photos, this is the season for you. Cherry blossoms bloom in late March – mid April. Magnolias bloom just before the cherry blossoms. Roses start blooming at the end of May – Bon Air Rose Garden Park is my favorite choice for these. And many more flowers can be found throughout the area! Keep in mind many photographers book early. My spring calendar starts to fill up over the winter. But it never hurts to check in case there’s a last-minute opening! If you missed this year’s window, plan ahead and book early next year.